Subject: re: framebuffer access
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/15/2005 07:27:18
   On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 08:52:07PM +0100, Radek Kujawa wrote:
   > > Or think video overlays
   > > - these could be exposed as different views but geometry and colour
   > > depth/format may be something completely different ( like YUV ).
   > > Hmm, supporting video overlays here is probably overkill.
   > Idea is amusing but, someone writing video app would probably do it in X
   > anyway, xv is supported by many drivers. I don't think there is need for
   > video interface in wscons ;).

   Mplayer can play video without X using some special Linux drivers.
   Probably it's faster.

i've used the "vesa" video output of mplayer on netbsd/i386 without X.
it needed a special mplayer built with lrmi to make the vesa code work
and it has to be run as root.  i'm not sure about the card specific
drivers that mplayer also supports..

.mrg.