Subject: Re: framebuffer access
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/13/2005 18:18:17
> I'm willing to write it, but I don't know how info about fb
> organization should be returned.  For example mach64 has two views.
> Supporting different views will add complexity to the API.  I don't
> know if it's the right thing to do.

I don't know about sparc64, but on sparc, there are framebuffers with
lots of different views.  The ZX (SUNW,leo), for example, has ten
different views per my notes - and just to keep things interesting, it
looks as though which one you get is determined not by what base
address you use but rather by the contents of a register.  The S24
(24bpp tcx) has seven views, four of which aren't framebuffers in the
usual sense (the stipple and blit spaces), but the other three are
(8bpp space and two 24/32bpp spaces).  The cg14 has at least two views
(8bpp and 24/32bpp), and I think there are more but can't find my notes
offhand.

I would expect these to matter to sparc64 because some of the earliest
sparc64 machines support SBus, and at least the leo is an SBus card.
(The cg14 is specific to the SS10 and SS20, and appears "at obio"; the
S24 is SS5-specific, and, while it appears "at sbus", the interface is
mechanically different from normal SBus.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign