Subject: Re: framebuffer access
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Radek Kujawa <streamer@cytrynka.infoland.int.pl>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/13/2005 15:48:57
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Michael wrote:
> > > Maybe we should add an ioctl that
> > > returns the framebuffer offset and size
> >
> > Yes, we should do that. And maybe include the current graphic mode
> > information as well (colorformat, stride, ...)
>
> An ioctl to read informations about framebuffer geometry, organization
> and so on exists, maybe it should be extended. Or another ioctl uses
> what this one uses with additional fields for offest and size.

I think this is very good idea. I'm no expert but I think we should
add another ioctl. Such ioctl should return structure with following
information (at least) :

- off_t offset
- size_t size
- ? organization - this is very important when accessing fb in
non-paletted mode, because now in user-space we have no idea how things
are stored in fb memory

This should be enough to write cross-platform apps using wsdisplay.
Extending drivers to support this ioctl should be straightforward, am I
right?

Radek