Subject: Re: framebuffer access
To: Radek Kujawa <streamer@cytrynka.infoland.int.pl>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/12/2005 18:04:13
Hello,

> I did it the way you suggested, and it works :).

Good :)

> The problem with wsdisplay is that on every platform it's implemented
> in other way, so now I have some ugly #ifdef's, as I don't want to
> break compatibility with non-PCI computers. On some platforms drivers
> can't even mmap their framebuffers. I can only say that wsdisplay is a
> bit "lacking" here and there. Maybe because it wasn't designed to draw
> anything more complicated than terminal emulator.

Indeed, there are lots of pitfalls. The problem with the BAR method is
that not all PCI graphics boards map the framebuffer with BAR 0x10 and
then of course BARs are a PCI thing. Maybe we should add an ioctl that
returns the framebuffer offset and size, this would at least work on
non-PCI devices as well.

have fun
Michael