Subject: Re: framebuffer access
To: Radek Kujawa <streamer@cytrynka.infoland.int.pl>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/12/2005 08:20:44
Hello,

> 	I'd like to access framebufer from user-space (by using wscons
> preferably). However, I read in the FAQ that memory mapping of devices
> does not work on sparc64.

This is wrong. Memory mapping of devices does in fact work, just not via
/dev/mem. You can mmap() a framebuffer via wscons or - in case it's an
ffb or an SBus device - via /dev/fb*.

> 	Until now I just opened device, ioctl'd it into
> WSDISPLAYIO_MODE_MAPPED and mmaped it. But it's not possible on
> sparc64.

It is possible, provided you're using 3.0 or newer. Older versions
don't have wscons. On 2.x you can still use /dev/fb* but mmap()ing PCI
framebuffers will be tricky.

have fun
Michael