Subject: Re: problems installing NetBSD 2.1 on ultra 60
To: edwin <edwin@spacebugs.nl>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/09/2005 09:02:01
Complete failure at install.  It could be a problem with my CDROM drive or
with the CD-R I burned from the multi-1 ISO image.

The machine won't boot from the multi-1 CD-R

Trying to read the miniroot.fs.gz results in read errors, some recoverable,
some not.

Downloading miniroot.fs.gz from ftp.netbsd.org results in sysinst failures
while trying to label the disk.

Sysinst appears to be trying to put a label in /tmp/disklabel and then use
this label to write to the disk; however, the file isn't there.  I tried
suspending the install and running ls -l /tmp.  There were no files listed
in /tmp.

Given that the disk may not be working I did try using dd to copy sd0 onto
sd1.  That worked ok so the sd1 disk is probably functional.

If I get a chance I'll try again tonight with the sparc64 ISO image.