Subject: Re: "exec /sbin/init: error 8" at boot
To: None <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/14/2005 15:33:11
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu> wrote:
> You probably managed to leave out the ability to run ELF binaries, or your
> /sbin/init is messed up. It may be a 32bit binary (did you install
> sparc(32, not 64) userland?) and  you forgot options EXEC_ELF32?

 So, booted from netbsd.generic:

ganesha:/root # file /sbin/init
/sbin/init: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD 2.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

 The kernel config LEMONCURRY lacked both:

options         EXEC_AOUT       # execve(2) support for a.out binaries
options         EXEC_ELF32      # Exec module for SunOS 5.x binaries.

 I've restored those two lines (just in case), rebuilt the kernel and i
still get the same error. Odd.  I'll try some of the other kernel options
and see what i can figure out.

> (and why exactly is that "option*S*", anyways?)

:)

Thanks for your help!

 -johan