Subject: Re: x86 Port outperforms SPARC64 port on NetBSD v2.0.2
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/05/2005 11:44:20
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, John Nemeth wrote:

> } regarding the last paragraph in special, but it's also important to the
> } former ones: maybe the compiler is crucial? i.e. build NetBSD for your
> } SS2 with optimization flags and your SSH connection will significantly
> } speed up :)
> }

 	Not on an SS2, or any sun4/sun4c machine. Compiler optimisation
 	for sun4m and later can win because they support hardware
 	multiply, so replacing your SS{1,1+,2} with an SS{4,5,10,20} would
 	really help ssh.

> } so with bad compiler output (e.g. from gcc, even more w/o optimization)
> } compared to a surely good-optimizing gcc for i386, that's not very fair.
> } try to run the software on Solaris and build it with Sun compilers ;)
>
>     Hmm, I've done it on Solaris, but using GCC.  It is very slow:
>
> vtn1% time ssh vifa2 id
> jnemeth@vifa2's password:
> uid=139(jnemeth) gid=10(staff) groups=10(staff),0(wheel)
> 0.0u 0.0s 0:27 0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
>
> vifa2 is a Sparc IPX running SunOS 4.1.3 (aka Solaris 1.1.1).  Note
> that it only took me a couple of seconds to enter my password.  Also,
> it doesn't have a /dev/random, so it is using prng to generate random
> numbers.  This adds to the speed penalty.  I am currently putting
> together another box to replace it.

 	Continuing my above machine reference for lunchbox rather
 	than pizzabox systems moving IPC or IPX to Classic or LX would
 	give an ssh boost far in excess of any nominal CPU speed gain :)

 	Pity really, as I really preferred IPX with its cg6 over the
 	Classic back when :)