Subject: Re: x86 Port outperforms SPARC64 port on NetBSD v2.0.2
To: Philip Jensen <phil_jensen@yahoo.com>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/04/2005 23:41:16
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:07:49 +1300 (NZDT)
Philip Jensen <phil_jensen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have a number of multi-CPU SPARC machines lying
> around, the best being an E3500 with the odd E4000
> too.  I am very keen to see NetBSD SPARC64 become SMP
> capable to be able to put one of these things through
> their paces.  I am also keen to do some comparisons
> with a large >10GB database on a SPARC64 -v- x86 too,
> running NetBSD of course ;-)

What's stopping you to run those tests on Solaris? Solaris 10 is pretty decent
OS, especially for for threaded applications on SMP machines. AFAIK NetBSD's
SMP implementation is not very mature, it can't even schedule multiple threads
within the same process onto different CPUs.