Subject: Re: building the X stuff
To: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/23/2005 06:39:55
--Signature_Fri__23_Sep_2005_06_39_55_-0400_YfboEVyEA=R6848G

Hello,

> ./build.sh -U -x -X ../xsrc build
>=20
> seems to work.
> however it looks very much like it removed all the
> tool chain and is probably now rebuilding it.!!!
> ...to my Horror.
>=20
> obviously I've missed something after reading
> BUILDING again.

add -u to the command above and it shouldn't rebuild the toolchain and
so on unless necessary.

> (it'd be good to know for next time as this is now
> going to take a long time )

I feel your pain.
You can still build X natively when you installed the base system.
By 'natively' I mean 'using the traditional way instead of build.sh'.
This has the drawback that you can't easily crossbuild but on the other
hand it doesn't depend on tool builds and all that and it will build
only X.
To do that put something like this into xsrc/xfree/xc/config/cf/host.def
#define DefaultCCOptions        -mcpu=3D ultrasparc -mtune=3Dultrasparc -O2
#define XF86CardDrivers         ati sunffb
#define XsunServer              NO
#define XsunMonoServer          NO
#define Xsun24Server            NO

none of these is strictly necessary but this way you can set
optimization parameters and avoid building support for hardware you
don't have, like SBus framebuffers and the various Xsun servers.

Then cd into xsrc/xfree/xc and run make World
This will clean up, create loads of Makefiles and build X. To rebuild
after source change just run make ( this skips the configuration,
Makefile creation and cleanup steps ), to install use make install.

If just want to update X or installed the fonts some other way put
#define BuildFonts              NO
in there too ( and run make World again to update all the Makefiles ) to
avoid building and installing all the fonts - saves a lot of time.

> PS I would have to say that I sense that I'm out of the
> realm of "do this recipe and NetBSD will work for you".
> And into the realm of "the woods not Kansas Dorothy."
> In here I guess there is no kiddy script and you have to
> use whats given to manufacture what is required.
> ie not easy for the fresh.

Hey, you did remarkably well ;)

have fun
Michael