Subject: Re: building the X stuff
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/23/2005 15:18:57
Hi,

after successful build and install of current and
after much research of BUILDING I came up with:

./build.sh -U -x -X ../xsrc build

[ i certainly feel fresh at this as after reading heaps I
don't often feel much more enlightened. this is
DEFINITELY not for the faint hearted. alas I am
progressing.]

./build.sh -U -x -X ../xsrc build

seems to work.
however it looks very much like it removed all the
tool chain and is probably now rebuilding it.!!!
...to my Horror.

obviously I've missed something after reading
BUILDING again.

If I put "-T ../tools" would this have avoided this fate?

what should I have done?
(it'd be good to know for next time as this is now
going to take a long time )

Thanks:)
(having fun,,,  just!)

Paul.

PS I would have to say that I sense that I'm out of the
realm of "do this recipe and NetBSD will work for you".
And into the realm of "the woods not Kansas Dorothy."
In here I guess there is no kiddy script and you have to
use whats given to manufacture what is required.
ie not easy for the fresh.

Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Paul (NCC/CS). wrote:
> >> build.sh -x -X /path/to/xsrc
> >> probably in src/BUILDING
> >>

> > Many Thanks.
> > & how do I install this X now once X is built?
>
> whatever you use to install your base system, add -x to build.sh
>
> > Should I have built X before I ran the main install?
>
> That wouldn't make sense.
>
> > And since I didn't what should I do now that all else
> > is installed first?
>
> 1. read src/BUILDING and the NetBSD guide's sections (dunno if they
>     mention building X)
> 2. build.sh -x build
>     build.sh -x install=/whatever
>
>   - Hubert