Subject: Re: Re: PGX64 and XFree
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/21/2005 14:40:06
Dans l'épisode précédent (Wed, Sep 21 2005 - 07:43), Michael nous apprenait que :
> Hello,
>
> > I got a Sun PGX64 and plugged it in my Ultra10.
> > I enabled it as "console only" using "setenv pcib-probe-list 1,3".
> > It works OK on Solaris 9.
>
> setenv output-device /pci/whatever/ATY,something
> should do the trick without any PCI probing stunts

ah ok... I did the previous because it's what was written on Sun doc :)
so I went back to "normal" conf ("setenv pcib-probe-list 1,2,3").

> > Now I installed NetBSD 3.99.8 and try to startx.
> > There don't seem to be any error, but X don't show - my LCD monitor
> > says "can't display this mode" ; XFree86/twm/xterm/xclock appear in
> > `top` with no special CPU charge - they're just there.
>
> According to your log X thinks all is well.
>
> > I've attached the log and conf (in case it helps).
> > The internal ATI worked OK when I tried it (expect it won't go to
> > 1280x1024 bcause of memory size).
>
> It should do it in 16bit. Please try this with the onboard ATI, just to
> make sure your LCD likes these timings at all.

hum... stange thing here...
looks like XFree don't like both card being pluggued in :
*****
(II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Card0".
(II) ATI:  Unshared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:2:0 detected.

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=2000,a=12000000] (Invalid
argument)
*****

The video card section looks like :
*****
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI"
#       BoardName   "Rage XL"
        ChipSet     "ati"
#       ChipId      0x4752
#       ChipRev     0x27
#       BusID       "PCI:2:1:0"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
*****

Do I have to unplug the PGX64 to have the onboard ATI work (console in
on onboard) ? I fill a bit lazy to unscrew the U10 if I can avoid it :)

> > Any idea why X don't appears nicely on my LCD ?
>
> Not yet. Either X programmed some weird video timings or your LCD is
> picky - no way for me to tell which one it is.

my LCD works with my NetBSD/i386 (i810) and with both video card under
Solaris :) So I think either it XFree86 or my conf file that bugs :)

--
,-- This mail runs ---------.
`------------ NetBSD/i386 --'