Subject: Re: why is there a GENERIC.MP config file?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: segv <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/30/2005 15:28:52
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:16:33 -0400
Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Any reason why there is an arch/sparc64/conf/GENERIC.MP kernel config file?
> > As far as I know, SMP is not supported on sparc64.  And I tried: it doesn't
> > build.
>
> SMP support is there, more or less, it just doesn't work. Yet.
> I'm not sure what exactly is missing though, I don't have any SMP-capable sparc64 machine.

I think it'd be nice to get threading bugs fixed before people start playing
with SMP on sparc64. I've lost count of how many times I had to reset the
system because it simply froze when running certain GTK applications. I wish I
knew more about kernel programming and sparc architecture to help out with
debugging/development, but I can't do it just yet...