Subject: Re: why is there a GENERIC.MP config file?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/30/2005 10:22:22
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 06:16:33AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Any reason why there is an arch/sparc64/conf/GENERIC.MP kernel config file?
> > As far as I know, SMP is not supported on sparc64.  And I tried: it doesn't
> > build.
>
> SMP support is there, more or less, it just doesn't work. Yet.
> I'm not sure what exactly is missing though, I don't have any SMP-capable sparc64 machine.
>
> have fun
> Michael

There seems to be an initialization problem with the non primary
processors.  Basically the second procesor is started, the scheduler
starts using it, and then you crash because the second processor
wasn't inited correctly.  The solution (from email messages on the
list) seems to be to do more in ofwboot.

cheers

bruce

--
edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org