Subject: Re: Xserver crashes
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/23/2005 12:05:41
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:53:42AM -0400, Kurt J. Lidl wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 07:03:41AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > > hmmm, VIS.  does netbsd/sparc64 actually save VIS registers in the
> > > context or what?  they need to be "owned" like the FPU don't they?
> >
> > Doesn't VIS just (ab)use the FPU registers?

Oh, I've been meaning to point out a very interesting old thread
that appeared in netnews about optimizing Ultrasparc copyin/copyout
using the VIS instructions.  This was done for the BSD/OS port to
the Ultrasparc, and Chris Torek did a bunch of working making this
particular item go fast.

It's interesting reading.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/browse_thread/thread/8c97e7633740573e/6d31315594819275?lnk=st&q=chris+torek+ultrasparc&rnum=1&hl=en#6d31315594819275

-Kurt