Subject: Re: U5, SCSI HA, trouble booting
To: Eric Benoit <eric@oddity.ca>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/09/2005 19:38:31
--Signature_Tue__9_Aug_2005_19_38_31_-0400_mlvOyY2oTslvx/1r

Hello,

> I just tried installing to a whopper 522M IDE HD, which seems to boot
> to multiuser just fine. From there, I can mount /dev/sd0a, not a
> single problem. This seems to eliminate issues accessing the HD from
> the OF POV, and the isp driver POV.

Ok, so the SCSI stuff basically works.

> If I try to boot (sd@3,0) now I've this drive going, it still stops at
> the same spot. This blows the theory it's looking at wd0, as it at
> least now exists. Worst case I can just use this as the boot drive..
> though this shouldn't be necessary. :(

True. Did you try a -current kernel? I'd like to know if it still hangs
there.

> Might this at all have anything to do with the SCSI HD being at ID 3,=20
> instead of the usual 0? Maybe I'll try this tomorrow..

Unlikely. I suspect some oddity in the mapping of OF's device path to
NetBSD's device names.

> I've dmesg output as an attachment, after setting output-device to
> ttyb and hooking 'er up. Nothing radically bizarre from the looks of
> it.

Hmm, the card apparently has its own PCI bridge, I remember some people
having trouble with these.

So - please try a -current kernel, I'll build one for you if you don't
want to go through the trouble of rolling your own. =20
I /think/ the code that maps the OF device name to NetBSD's may choke on
your boot path: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@3/SUNW,isptwo@4/sd@3,0:a/netbsd
three nested instances of pci aren't /that/ common after all and macppc
had a similar problem a while ago ( it didn't hang though, just didn't
use the right device )=20
If -current still has the problem it should definitely be fixed for 3.0
You may want to file a bug report about it too, just to make sure we
don't forget about it ;)

Hmm, your CPU looks a bit odd too, I thought all UltraSPARC-IIi modules
for U5/U10 boxes with 300MHz or more had 2MB cache.

Does the HME on the card work properly?

have fun
Michael