Subject: U5, SCSI HA, trouble booting
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Benoit <eric@oddity.ca>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/08/2005 19:49:28
Hey all,

Dusted off my old U5 with the intention of installing NetBSD 2.0.2 on
it. As far as the install itself went, not a single problem. Everything
seems to have gone smoothly.

This particular U5 has, of course, the onboard IDE support, but with
only a single CDROM attached. An external SCSI HA/HME combo card
provides for a SCSI bus, with a single 9.1G HD attached.

The trouble I'm having now is with actually booting NetBSD. I get the OF
booter, it loads the kernel, detects the hardware up until the HD (sd0),
and eventually dies right at:

root device:

At which point it freezes hard: STOP-A fails to work, and I need to
power cycle.

I suspect it might be trying to find the root device at wd0a, which
doesn't exist. I don't recall mention of this anywhere (during the
install, boot, etc), though. The other possibility is that it's actually
trying to use the serial port as the console, but my output-device and
input-device are screen and keyboard, respectively. I don't have the
proper cablage handy to test this theory. Any chance of that?

I'm sure it's a stupidly simple thing, brought about by this slightly
non-standard setup. Solaris, I should mention, has no problem with this
configuration.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks