Subject: Memory In An Ultra 10
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/04/2005 12:42:53
Sorry if this is deemed as being OT due to being a hardware question but I
figured you lot would be the best to ask.

My Ultra10 440Mhz system recently became convinced that the 4x256MB DIMMs in
it only added up to 256MB, the memory worked fine in other machines so I can
only assume that the system board in it is knackered. Anyways, I have the
guts of a 300MHz U10 that I flashed the PROM up to 3.31 on and popped the
440MHz CPU unit into. It boots up and quite happily identifies the full
1024MB of RAM and the 440MHz CPU, however it reports the RAM as being 60ns.
I understand that the 440MHz systems require 50ns RAM and this is, indeed,
50ns RAM (Kingston KTS7038/512).

So, the question is, is there a jumper somewhere in the system board that I
need to set to get it to run at 50ns rather than 60ns? Now that Sun have
stopped open access to the system handbooks I can't check this out for
myself...

Gary