Subject: Re: thinking about SMP
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/03/2005 22:42:08
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:38:18PM +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> I've been playing with SMP these last few days and I noticed that in
> locore.s there is a routine named cpu_initialize.  This is called for
> the primary processor, but, though I could have missed it, it is not
> called for the secondary processors.  Is there a reason for this?

Well, startup for the boot CPU differs, it has to deal with the OF stuff
etc., while the other CPUs have not been started yet. The other CPUs
should execute the code between cpu_mp_startup and cpu_mp_startup_end.

We plan to simplify this sheme by having ofwboot do more work and get
everything set up for the kernel correctly.

Martin