Subject: Re: 3.0_BETA X server crash - how to restore screen?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2005 22:03:08
On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:49:51AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> I didn't try anything from the 3.0 branch - everything here runs
> -current and I don't have a spare disk to install it on. Maybe I'll put
> it on the U1 - I don't think your crash is driver-related, I didn't
> change anything there.

OK. I've done some more fiddling and it seems to be related to colour
depth - if I use 16-bit colour, Firefox (running remotely) is fairly
unstable. It crashes often and sometimes takes the X server down with it.
I've now switched to 24-bit colour, and it's a lot more stable (no crashes
yet, touch wood).

I'll try and do some more testing with 16-bit colour tomorrow and send you
the backtrace.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/