Subject: Re: (OT) Installing Solaris using a NetBSD install server
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2005 15:45:35
Sean Davis writes:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 05:47:26PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:07:01PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > > I realize that this is a NetBSD list, not a Solaris list, but I've been told
> > > that it is doable (I can't remember who said it...), and can't figure
> out

That was me :-)

> > > how.
> >
> > I did it years ago, it works fine. IIRC, I had run the
> > solaris-specific "copy everything off the CD and lay out the install
> > dirs" script already on a solaris box, and jsut copied that and some
> > bootparams (etc) files across to netbsd.

Just listen to the man, Dan!  He does not have Solaris-related problems
*AT ALL*!

He has a chicken-and-egg problem that the Solaris install CD has
*several* (in this case, two) slices needed for the installation (or
the install server setup).  Yes, this was different "years ago".

In particular, the Solaris_<N>/Tools/Boot directory on slice 0 is now
a symlink to slice 1.

Sean, you need to do one of three things:

 - find a Sparc machine running Solaris, then use dd or something
   similar to rip the install image apart, and mount the two slices
   separately using lofi

 - find a Sparc machine with a CD-ROM drive, then boot the install
   CD into single user, then copy the two slices to the install
   server across the network

 - find a Solaris installation *DVD*, since the DVD has a copy of
   slice 1 in  Solaris_<N>/Tools/Boot.

> > Is the NetBSD machine not a sparc? In this case, you'll likely need to
> > use sunlabel(8) to read the label off the CD and adjust the in-core
> > label to suit.  "dkctl ... keeplabel yes" is handy between invocations
> > here :)

Now *that* sounds interesting, Daniel!  Does that mean that you
can expose the two slices separately, and then mount them?

> sunlabel doesn't find a valid label on the cd image (mounted
> via vnd) I'll give it a shot on the burned cd, but I expect the same
> results.

You will get the same results.

> Also, I can't install Solaris on the Ultra 5 (my original plan) because
> Solaris apparently refuses to detect non-IDE drives in Ultra 5's. The
> machine is setup with an Adaptec 2940UW-OFW + Seagate Cheetah in it, which
> OpenBoot sees just fine, but Solaris' installer does not.

The OBP can see the card since it is a PCI card.  Have you checked
if you *really* have the Sun OFW version of the card?  You can do
this by entering "show-disks" at the OBP prompt.  If a path to the
controller appears there, the OBP knows it's a disk controller.

HTH -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de