Subject: 3.0_BETA X server crash - how to restore screen?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2005 11:07:50
Hi all,

I'm running 3.0_BETA (built around June 12) on my Ultra 5 with an ATI Rage
Pro and it's working well (thanks Michael at al!) - accelerated wscons and
XFree are great.

One small problem though - Firefox (running remotely) caused the X server
to crash, but I had no idea how to restore the console (the screen just
displayed the last image before the X server crashed). I could login to the
machine remotely and everything was still fine, but even Stop-A didn't help
(it halted into the PROM, but nothing I typed was displayed on the screen).
Stop-Fn to switch VTs is disabled with X running, so that didn't help
either.

Any ideas on this one? It's a bit horrible having to reboot to get the
system into a usable state after an X server crash.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/