Subject: Re: would my Quad card be broken ?
To: None <joel@carnat.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/23/2005 20:12:10
--Signature_Thu__23_Jun_2005_20_12_10_-0400_Pqvz/AKzcV6pt=yQ

Helo,

Hello,

>  Although those machines ended in my room because they "looked" dead
>  (after savage electric shutdown and such), they worked pretty well
>  with Solaris 9 and OpenBSD 3.6. In the same time, using NetBSD (2.0.2
>  or 3.0_BETA), the machines freeze rather quickly on pkgsrc build
>  process.

Hmm, I didn't have any freeze for quite some time ( U10/333, Creator3D )
and I did a LOT of compiling. Most freezes ( maybe all ) I've ever had
were kernel panics with X running ( I should really add something to
force the console back into 'text mode' at least for cg6 and ffb
graphics boards where we never change resolution ). Applications crash
occasionally but Martin found a likely cause for most of these crashes.
( ok, I'm running -current. It would be interesting to know it you still
get freezes with that )

>  I thought, Sun released quite "standard" machine (compared to DELL,
>  for eg, where a single server ref might contain various ethernet card
>  and such). I mean, an U5/333 is 100% identical to another U5/333.

Yes, I'd assume the mainboard that can take the faster CPU modules would
be the one with Rage Pro and the slower ones would have a Rage II, but
I'm not too sure about that. The rest should be more or less the same
though.

>  All that to say, I'm wondering if it's possible that NetBSD/sparc64
>  deal worse with some "small" hardware issues than Sol|OpenBSD do.

It's certainly possible but that should better b answered by someone who
knows more about the lowlevel gruntwork in the kernel than I do.

> NetBSD locks (no gdb, nothing on console, nothing on screen)
>  but the other OS don't say anything special.

As I said - I didn't see anything like that on my U10. On the other hand
it would be pretty unlikely that all your boxes have exactly the same
hardware problem.

have fun
Michael