Subject: Sparc 20 hypersparc vs Ultra 2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/20/2005 10:22:35
Hi,

In my quest for cheap, interesting (ergo no x86) hardware for my CPU bound jobs
I was considering either a Sparc 20 with 150 or 180 mhz hypersparcs or an Ultra 2
with either dual 200mhz or dual 300 mhz processors.

I realize that NetBSD doesn't support multiprocessor sparcv9 systems yet, but, I
assume that that's only a matter of time.  I might be able to help with this if
I get a smp v9 system.

What I don't have a good feel for is how these type of systems perform.  My
jobs will be mostly integer work that is strictly CPU bound.  The memory bandwidth
needed isn't very high.  Disk I/O doesn't really matter too much, ie, nfs across
10baseT is fine.

I have one existing sparc system (ss4, 110mhz) that compared to the other systems
(say a 200mhz 604e) is quite underwhelming.  Are the Supersparcs and hypersparcs
likely to be as slow as the microsparc IIs?  And how does the Ultra 2 compare
to the Supersparcs and hypersparcs?

Oh, and finally, the geek bit is that it needs to be smp :-)

Thanks very much in advance!

cheers

bruce

--