Subject: Re: Re: Netra t1 105
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/20/2005 09:51:28
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Mon, Jun 20 2005 - 08:15, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:43:32PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > 1) Is there a Symbios Ultra160 PCI SCSI host adapter that can be used in
> >    this machine (ie, is OFW bootable?) if not Symbios, I'm open to what=
ever
> >    suggestion - as long as OFW can boot from it.
>=20
> Hmm... Not sure on this one. I know the Symbios Ultra-Wide controllers are
> OFW bootable, but not sure about Ultra 160. Perhaps dig in the FEH?
>=20
> > 2) I'm running NetBSD 2.0.2_STABLE on it at the moment. I intend for th=
is
> >    machine to (eventually) serve as a router (ipf/ipnat/altq), netboot =
server
> >    (rarp/dhcp/tftp/nfs/whatever).. Should I consider 3.0_BETA, or is
> >    2.0.2_STABLE the best choice for this application? Note that I hope =
> >    eventually get a working DECstation, so I might want mopd(8), which =
AFAIK
> >    does not ship with netbsd-2-0.
>=20
> "It depends". 3.0_BETA has pf as part of the base system (it's also
> available from pkgsrc with 2.0.2_STABLE), which is nice. I've also noticed

 I would add there's MPPE support in pppd.
 Although you still need net/mppe-lkm and net/poptop, there is one step les=
s on 3.0_BETA
 to setup a VPN server for Windows clients (if this is one of you need).

> some performance improvements with 3.0_BETA, but with sparc rather than
> sparc64 (haven't stressed any of my sparc64 machines much since upgrading=
).

 from my testings, 3.0_BETA is, at least, as stable as 2.0.2 (tested on Ult=
ra5 and V100).

>=20
> mopd(8) is there in 2.x - I certainly have it on sparc and i386 (don't
> have any 2.x sparc64 machines any more).
> [p1] root@sign:/# uname -srmn
> NetBSD sign.pimp.org.za 2.0.2 sparc
> [p1] root@sign:/# ls -l /usr/sbin/mopd
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  52065 Dec  2  2004 /usr/sbin/mopd
>=20
> > 3) Is the hardware watchdog provided by LOMlite supported by NetBSD? If=
 so,
> >    any recommendations in setting it up?

 my V100 didn't seem to have watchdog support.
 but in console, I can switch LOM/OS (with cu).

--=20
,- This mail runs ------.
`--------- NetBSD/i386 -'

--huq684BweRXVnRxX