Subject: Re: building xsrc in a chrooted 32bit userland
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/20/2005 01:08:38
--Signature_Mon__20_Jun_2005_01_08_38_-0400_Tjm3M7carlu9LX+e

Hello,

>    I need to build XFree86 for sparc32, natively via make World. Since
>    my only 32bit SPARC is rather slow I'd like to do it on my U10, in
>    a chrooted 32bit userland. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
>    I know gcc likes to do funny things to the vm subsystem - will this
>    work properly with COMPAT_NETBSD32?
>=20
>=20
> what do you mean about gcc?  i have no idea what you are talking
> about at all.

I don't really have an idea either, but for instance, when compiling
code ridden with C++ templates the compiler eats a lot of memory. On
systems with a lot of memory but no swap this tends to fail while it
works fine on machines with less memory but some usable swap, even when
the machine with a lot of memory has more memory than the other one plus
swap.

> another problem i'd expect is the now large number of system calls
> not handled by compat_netbsd32.  cube@ has been working on a few of
> them, but entire groups like the sa_* (pthreads) calls are not yet
> handled.  another likely problem would be random bugs in various
> emulated syscalls.

I ran into an odd problem - gcc apparently works but ld doesn't seem to
work at all. It rejects any object file ( claims it's truncated ) when
running chrooted while the same binary works with the same object files
on a real 32bit sparc.

The emulated stat() seems to return bogus sometimes, but I didn't yet
get around to dig deeper.

have fun
Michael