Subject: Re: Sun Hardware Donation
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/09/2005 19:52:11
On Monday 09 May 2005 19:48, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> >>hm,
> >>
> >>what about that nice pair of USIII CPUs and NetBSD's lack of support for
> >>them?
> >
> > I've heard somewhere that Sun were withholding technical information
> > about some platforms with UltraSparcIII CPUs, thums making it difficult
> > to support them. Don't know if it's true or not...

Me too, I had read something about that, and Theo De Raadt was very angry with
Sun for the lack of help they had given him, and he saw the cause of this in
Sun's fear to help non-GPLed projects, as other companies could learn too
much of the UltraSPARC III architecture from a BSD-licensed code... I don't
know if everything's true, and I don't hope so, but... The last time I asked
this on this mailing list (it was last summer) some people told me it was
just lack of time and, above all, hardware. And I trust them, as I can't find
the time to write an hello world program anymore at sixteen years old ;)

> yip,
>
> AFAIR this was on a PCI-to-xyz (or from-xyz) bridge. however, i saw on a
> freebsd mailing list that they're working on it (the US-III support). IIRC.

COOL! Nice info for us all!

Thank you,
david