Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/03/2005 19:07:06
On Monday 02 May 2005 21:03, Amadeus Stevenson wrote:

> Just compiled a -current kernel and had (related?) issues. mouse
> configure failed so no core pointer in X. wscons also didn't seem to
> work (console fell back to sun emulation or something). I had the
> tar_files from about a week ago, so if the keyboard stuff was added a
> few days ago I'll try to get the src tar_files again. They're updated
> nightly?

First of all, thank you _all_ for your help, I wouldn't have been able to do
anything without it.
Unfortunately, I had crossbuilt 3-0 and not -current, and this is one of the
main reasons why it didn't work. Moreover, as Michael said, I had to
modify /etc/ttys to match the new asset.
I've noticed that on 3-0 the console background had become black and the text
was small and white. It was wonderful.
Now I've rebuilt everything, X included (I hanve't tried it yet), and console
finally works, but character and colors are the same of the OF one. I think I
have to change something in the kernel config file. BTW, is there a list of
all the characters (eg SONY_8x16, GALLANT_12x22,...) which the kernel can be
set to show?

> I took out EHCI support and just had UHCI for the VIA controller;
> however nothing is detected when I plug in (usb disks/dongles etc.) No
> message on console or /var/log/messages. Shall I assume the card is
> not supported? It was an el-cheapo.

If I'm not wrong, we've got the same card. Using a GENERIC -current kernel, it
works perfectly...

uhci0 at pci2 dev 1 function 0: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev.
0x50)
uhci0: interrupting at ivec 10
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1 at pci2 dev 1 function 1: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev.
0x50)
uhci1: interrupting at ivec 11
usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ehci0 at pci2 dev 1 function 2: VIA Technologies VT8237 EHCI USB Controller
(rev. 0x51)
ehci0: interrupting at ivec 12
ehci0: EHCI version 0.95
ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1
usb2 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2
uhub2: VIA Technologies EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: NIKON NIKON DSC E3500, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <NIKON, NIKON DSC E3500, 1.00> disk removable
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: 122 MB, 122 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 250880 sectors
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: no disk label
it mounts etc

Now I've got some strange issues to solve (sorry for my silliness, I'm still a
newbie!)

- I've got <user> set in the wheel group, but when I su to root, it says "su:
Sorry: authentication error", no matter the password is right or wrong. I
know this is old like the universe, but what can I do?
- I've configured XF86 to work, and the Xserver starts by typing XFree86, but
"xinit" doesn't work and complains about "no screens found".
- Setting TERM to xinit-color, as Michael suggested, gives me problems with
cursor keys in vi (they don't produce any effect"

Thank you very much and please be patient to me :)

> Amadeus

david