Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/01/2005 12:45:33
--Signature_Sun__1_May_2005_12_45_33_-0400_if1wC1ueVUV/Tk+u

Hello,

> > > I'll try your XFree86, and if/when it works I'll compile -current
> > > userland as well with USB support and let the list know how it works.
> > > Will I have to recompile X as well?
> >=20
> > No, just use the binaries you found on my site.
>=20
> I loaded X and twm successfully last night with your binaries; 16 bit
> seemed to work better than 24 but it works great. It's not at all as
> slow as on cheaper, but newer i386 hardware!

Well, the graphics controller is a bog-strandard ATI Rage 3D - the same thi=
ng on an x86 should behave exactly the same :)

> I'm trying to compile a few X programs from pkgsrc (gtk related), but
> am getting errors from graphics libraries which "can't find libX11".
> Something to do with XOpenWindows or something similar (sorry for lack
> of actual messages).

That's weird, but without the actual error message I can't do anything.

> What should I do to remedy this?

Post the error message. This should not happen.

> USB kernel would be most appreciated. My U5 has a US IIi 400mhz, and
> doesn't seem to be too slow compiling, but I can see that taking some
> time!

This kernel
http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc64/netbsd_Ultra10_05_01.bz2
has ohci, uhci and ehci suport compiled in.=20

> It's got 128mb RAM in (which a list subscriber kindly sent me after I
> had a difficult time finding some) the U5 which gets gobbled up fairly
> quickly after launching X and a few non-gui intensive apps. The swap
> use is only about 30/40mb at the moment, but do I need to increase the
> system RAM or will the swap use be fine? Ideally I'd like to run
> something biggish like Firefox, gimp, xmms etc.

The only thing that can replace memory is more memory :)
My U10 has 256MB, usually it doesn't swap at all but big beasts like Konque=
ror make it swap of course.
Firefox had numerous 64bit-cleanliness issues, last time I checked ( a coup=
le of weeks ago ) it would compile but crash on startup.
KDE stuff mostly works but a few components ( like the cookie-manager don't=
 ) so your mileage will vary. Most GNOME stuff runs too, but since all(?) G=
NOME-browsers use gecko they won't work. gimp works fine gere and xmms isn'=
t /that/ much of a beast ;)

have fun
Michael