Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/01/2005 14:54:41
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 12:53:34PM +0100, Amadeus Stevenson wrote:
> It's got 128mb RAM in (which a list subscriber kindly sent me after I
> had a difficult time finding some) the U5 which gets gobbled up fairly
> quickly after launching X and a few non-gui intensive apps. The swap
> use is only about 30/40mb at the moment, but do I need to increase the
> system RAM or will the swap use be fine? Ideally I'd like to run
> something biggish like Firefox, gimp, xmms etc.

I guess the standard answer would be, "you can never have too much RAM" :)
It's not too difficult to find RAM for the U5 and 10 on eBay - although Sun
branded RAM is expensive, you can also use many generic ECC EDO DIMMs
without problem. I have four such 128M DIMMs in my U5 and they're working
like a charm - they were originally intended for a Proliant 7000 and cost
me $38.

The DIMMs were described by the seller as:
COMPAQ P/N: 169234-002
Works with the following servers:
* Proliant 4000
* Proliant 5000
* Proliant 6000 6/200, Model 1
* Proliant 6000 Xeon 6/400, 6/450, and 6/500, Model 1/2S
* Proliant 6500r
* Proliant 7000 6/200 Models 1S/2S
* Proliant 7000 Xeon 6/400, 6/450, and 6/500 Models 1,1S,2S

HTH.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/