Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: segv <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/01/2005 13:23:56
On Sun, 1 May 2005 12:53:34 +0100
Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's got 128mb RAM in (which a list subscriber kindly sent me after I
> had a difficult time finding some) the U5 which gets gobbled up fairly
> quickly after launching X and a few non-gui intensive apps. The swap
> use is only about 30/40mb at the moment, but do I need to increase the
> system RAM or will the swap use be fine? Ideally I'd like to run
> something biggish like Firefox, gimp, xmms etc.

I think you'll find a lot of problems with Mozilla/Firefox on sparc64. It's not 64-bit clean, SEGV and SIGBUS are quite common. Some options to try would be:
- use 32-bit kernel and 32-bit userland
- build lang/gcc34 from pkgsrc (native gcc seems to crash with 'internal compiler error' while building www/firefox in 32-bit mode on sun4u machines)
- apply the following patch to Mozilla sources http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=30106