Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/30/2005 23:01:23
On 4/29/05, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > Sorry to flag a dead horse, but is X on ultra5 possible?
>=20
> Yes.
>=20
> > Do the patches work for 2.0?
>=20
> Try a -current kernel, the machfb driver is what you want. If you don't
> feel like compiling your own kernel you can use mine ( I use an Ultra
> 10, same graphics controller, plus USB and SymBIOS SCSI )
> Like this one:
> http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc64/netbsd_Ultra10_04_29.=
bz2
>=20

I booted your kernel and it works great. Hardware is configured, and I
must confess it's the first time since the 5 or 6 years I've been
using netbsd that I've had a full screen, colour console! And at
1280x1024 that was a real suprise. I found a whole new edge to all
those console apps I'd been using in monochrome!

Only thing is that now the ultra5 won't boot to monitor if I don't
connect a keyboard to it; but that's no biggie.

I'll try your XFree86, and if/when it works I'll compile -current
userland as well with USB support and let the list know how it works.
Will I have to recompile X as well?

I'll definitely put all the ultra5 info onto http sometime.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Amadeus