Subject: Re: pci usb card on ultra 5 problems
To: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/30/2005 22:13:17
On 4/30/05, Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 005 17:35, Amadeus Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > As you might guess I'm trying to gear up my ultra 5 as a "home
> > desktop" which is really the first time I've used netbsd for anything
> > other than server uses.
>
> Hi! It's incredible, but it seems we're trying to do the same things at t=
he
> same time on the same machine! :) I'm trying to use this ultra5 as a dece=
nt
> desktop system and I've got the same problem.

Great!=20

I booted the current kernel Michael supplied on his website, and the
controller is still "not configured". It's a generic taiwanese (sic)
board which I bought for =A38 at a computer fair. It will cost me half
that to get there to give it back! So I think I'll find a new home and
try to get a NEC based USB card.

However, if it does work on a more current -current that will be great.

My priority at the moment is to get X working, which I'll hopefuly do
tonight with Michael's X binaries. I'll compile it all on the machine
when I'ms ure it works. Otherwise I'll try openbsd.

Good luck! I was thinking of putting up a page with the results of my
troubles on the web later on. Maybe we can co-write!

Amadeus

ps. I've also stuck in a DVD drive and am over-optimistically hoping
the cpu can cope with decoding the mpeg-2 video. I do have a mpeg-2
hardware card but I doubt that will work in netbsd.