Subject: We have (finaly) switched to wscons
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/29/2005 22:07:38
Folks,

I have now commited the last bits that completed our switch over to wscons.
The old console driver is still supported, so your old kernel config files
should keep working without any changes. This is, for example, necessary
if you run Xsun.

This change, besides getting in line with most other archs and moving
in the officialy blessed direction, offers us two things imediately:

 - usb keyboard machines are now first class citizens
 - XFree based servers work

The second item has a notable exception: ffb is missing a few bits of kernel
support, so the X server does not yet work. This will hopefully be fixed
soon.

Building an XFree server is currently only possible via xsrc - the
build.sh -x variant has a few issues, which I hope to solve soon too.

Lots of thanks go to John Heasley and Michael Lorenz, who did most of
the legwork.

Martin