Subject: RE: firmware password
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Nathan G. Mitchell <nmitchel@nexthop.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/21/2005 16:45:29
If it's already got an OS on it that it boots to by default, I've found
that it's possible to fix this problem by changing the root password on
the boot disk to null (put the disk in another machine and change it
there if necessary) and then when you're root on the machine after it's
booted, you can use the eeprom command to nullify the password.

It's also possible to swap eeproms w/ a buddy who has the same kind of
machine and so that you can have him nuke the thing while on his system
w/ known root pw while you use the cdrom.  Eeproms are lighter in case
the nearest similar machine is far away and the parts need to be mailed.
--
nate