Subject: re: What's the best install to run Solaris binaries ?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/21/2005 01:19:48

   > i believe compat_svr4 works best with solaris 8 userland.
   Hmm, I'll try that. Hopefully I can still download Solaris 8...

   > it probably also will run better with a 32 bit kernel, ie, COMPAT_SVR4 not COMPAT_SVR4_32.
   I don't like the thought of running a 32bit kernel on a 64bit machine, at least when some hardware in it uses physical addresses outside the 32bit address s
pace - having 64bit physical addresses but 32bit pointers feels odd. And call me a snob but I want the full v9 instruction set.

note that netbsd/sparc uses 64 bit paddr_t as well as /sparc64.  while
the full v9 is nicer, most apps don't care and run about as fast in
32 bit vs 64 bit mode.  the apps that do care, well, there is variance
in which is best.  the apps that i've noticed that it matters for are
the crypto algos, but, there was no clear winner for all.  sometimes
32 bit was faster, sometimes 64 bit was faster....

.mrg.