Subject: Re: Re: netboot miniroot
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/06/2005 18:31:59
Dans l'épisode précédent (Wed, Apr 06 2005 - 15:44), Eduardo Horvath nous apprenait que :
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:49:21PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:23:59PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> > > So, I'd like to "boot net" and it fetches miniroot, or whatever image
> > > has the install process on it.
> >
> > You mean you want something like the sparc64 INSTALL kernel, but in the
> > sparc GENERIC_SUN4U variant?
> >
> > Why don't you just mount miniroot on a vnd on your NFS server, export it's
> > content, then mount that from your running sparc installation and run
> > "sysinst" there?
>
> 'Cause installboot will install sparc bootblocks which won't work on
> sparc64?

 uh... indeed there's something my U10 doesn't like (for a change :)
********************
Boot device: net  File and args:
Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
13000
Server IP address: 192.168.10.34
Client IP address: 192.168.10.35
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (builds@build, Thu Dec  2 02:33:41 UTC 2004)
Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
bootp: no reply
Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: 192.168.10.35, hostname: cumin
root addr=192.168.10.34 path=/tftpboot/cumin/root
loadfile: reading header
elf32_exec: Booting /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@1,1/netbsd
3061380@0xf0004000
********************

2 hours later, it's still there :)
and Stop-Break don't do nothing :)

> Better to boot a sparc64 INSTALL kernel and when you get to installing
> the sets point it at a sparc directory.

 I'll try this - using the sparc directory wia FTP.
 The only weird thing is that, you choose sets before indicating the
 source. So I suspect I won't be able to choose 'kern-GENERIC_SUN4U'.

 So the process would be install it like a sparc.
 Then find a way to put 'kern-GENERIC_SUN4U' on your configured disk.
 Netbooting the machine or using the shell from CD, I suppose ?

--
,-- This mail runs ---------.
`------------ NetBSD/i386 --'