Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc64 now 'ready for primetime'?
To: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/02/2005 15:48:48
Hello,

> With recent 2.0 and -current kernels, paging out thread-using programs
> doesn't crash the whole machine anymore, but the processes still crash in
> interesting ways (see the other thread that's going on here).
Exactly. The weird thing is - it doesn't seem to affect /all/ programs.

> From a similar discussion a few weeks ago (in -sparc?), this seemend to
> be a generic problem on all NetBSD hardware variants: swapping threaded
> apps leads to app crashes.   Sparc and Sparc64 had "full system crashes",
> but *this* is fixed, as far as my tests went.
Yes, the panics are gone. I didn't have any pthread-related problems on macppc though, even with a lot of paging activity going on.

> (If this is all an old hat and I just need to get a more up-to-date
> thread lib: just tell me so)
Still happens here with -current userland from a week ago, kernel from 4 days ago.

have fun
Michael