Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc64 now 'ready for primetime'?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/02/2005 22:18:59
In muc.lists.netbsd.port.sparc64 Time Schoeler wrote:

>so, i could run NetBSD on the single processor machines, but i'm not
>up-to-date regarding things like the almost famous 'sleep forever'
>bug...

My Ultra5 and 10's with 2.0.2 and -current work perfectly stable *as long
as I don't use native pthreads*.

With recent 2.0 and -current kernels, paging out thread-using programs
doesn't crash the whole machine anymore, but the processes still crash in
interesting ways (see the other thread that's going on here).

From a similar discussion a few weeks ago (in -sparc?), this seemend to
be a generic problem on all NetBSD hardware variants: swapping threaded
apps leads to app crashes.   Sparc and Sparc64 had "full system crashes",
but *this* is fixed, as far as my tests went.

For those apps that insist on threads (clamav-milter), I use pkgsrc pth,
and haven't seen a clamav crash since.  Using pth is a bit tricky, as
the threads include files collide...

(If this is all an old hat and I just need to get a more up-to-date
thread lib: just tell me so)

gert
--
gert@greenie.muc.de   fax: +49-89-35655025   http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

This system will self-destruct in five minutes.