Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc64 now 'ready for primetime'?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/02/2005 10:30:39
Michael said:

>If you don't need threads you'll probably be fine with NetBSD, but if you do need them you're in for all kinds of nastiness. Some of it is fixed ( didn't see a kernel panic or a deadlock for a while ) in -current but we still get apparently random SIGSEGV and SIGBUS from libpthread. Some threaded applications work just fine, some don't work at all or crash randomly.
>So if you want stable workhorses go with Solaris right now, maybe keep one U5 with NetBSD to play with, there's still a chance it will do what you need.

Well, www.rmkhome.com/ftp.rmkhome.com is an Ultra5 running NetBSD 2.0.1, which
I will upgrade soon to 2.0.2. I use a Symbios SCSI controller and SCSI drives
instead of the lame sun IDE controller. Apache 1.3.xx. No threads, and it runs
pretty well. I had one possible "sleeps forever" before I upgraded from 2.0.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>