Subject: random crashes with pthreads
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/01/2005 22:38:29
u10$ uname -a
NetBSD u10 3.0_BETA NetBSD 3.0_BETA (GENERIC) #1: Tue Mar 29 22:14:52
UTC 2005  root@u10:/opt/obj.sparc64/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC sparc64

Greetings, I am observing random crashes with a multithreaded
application. I wrote a simple web server that creates a thread for each
client connection, it seems to crash randomly when there is a very high
load and threads need to be created at a very high rate.

I can't determine what's causing it, sometimes it dies with: segfault,
bus error, illegal instruction. Running gdb on the core dump shows that
sometimes it crashes in pthread library in /usr/lib, sometimes it
crashes in the application itself.

The set up is as follows:

web server is running on sparc64 machine

httperf is executed on i386 to send a very high rate of HTTP requests to
the server:

httperf --server=u10 --port=8000 --wsess=200,20,0 --rate=100
--max-piped-calls=8

While the sever is processing HTTP requests, it crashes randomly.
Sometimes it crashes straight away, sometimes after a series of httperf
sessions. I don't think there is anything wrong with my web server, the
fact that it was crashing with segfault, bus error, illegal instruction,
etc, makes me very suspicious

Has anyone experienced anything like this on sparc64?