Subject: Re: Can't build userland, resultant binaries are not executable
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/22/2005 17:04:52
On Mar 22, 2005, at 4:04 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>> "Tired" or not, "1990s" or not, there are real reasons to segregate
>> stuff into different filesystems.
>
> Certainly.  There are also real reasons to put them all in the same
> filesystem.  Neither set of reasons wins over the other all the time;
> part of being competent at sysadminning is making that tradeoff in ways
> appropriate to the purpose the computer is there for.

   Your point hit me on the head like a brick; I'm glad you presented it
this way...I just realized that I've always thought of NetBSD as a
machine-room OS and not as a single-user desktop OS.  I've run LOADS of
NetBSD machines (literally thousands in a corporate environment) on a
few different architectures (pretty much everything except pc532 and
i386) but only twice have I used it as a single-user desktop OS.

   I suppose, then, that I will rephrase my point.  For headless server
duty...say, as a web server or mail server, or perhaps a shell account
machine, I believe (and have learned from experience) that the
separate-filesystems configuration affords a great many advantages,
even in the face of huge, cheap disk space.

              -Dave