Subject: Re: Can't build userland, resultant binaries are not executable
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/22/2005 16:04:43
> I guess you like logs and files in /tmp filling up your filesystem.

Not especially, but on most of my machines I prefer it to their filling
up their own filesystem while I've got scads of space going unused
elsewhere.

> What about what the *application* is "most comfortable" with?

The application is there for me, not the other way around.  For most of
my machines, the whole *computer* is there for me; if it works better
for me, it's better, regardless of what you might think some
application wants.

> "Tired" or not, "1990s" or not, there are real reasons to segregate
> stuff into different filesystems.

Certainly.  There are also real reasons to put them all in the same
filesystem.  Neither set of reasons wins over the other all the time;
part of being competent at sysadminning is making that tradeoff in ways
appropriate to the purpose the computer is there for.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign