Subject: Re: Can't build userland, resultant binaries are not executable
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/22/2005 15:33:28
On Mar 22, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Greg Earle wrote:
> "Tastes great!"  "Less filling!"
>
> Why are you people using port-sparc64 to regurgitate tired old
> arguments from the 1990's?
>
> Hint: The right answer to "Should I have more than one partition,
> or just use one?" is "Whatever you're most comfortable with".
>
> Sheesh.  Kids these days ...

   I guess you like logs and files in /tmp filling up your filesystem.
What about what the *application* is "most comfortable" with?
Operating systems aren't about administrator comfort...they're about
controlling access to a computer's resources.

   "Tired" or not, "1990s" or not, there are real reasons to segregate
stuff into different filesystems.  The fact that some people have
become so lazy and apathetic as to ignore such matters does not change
the facts.

   And the idea that such apathy is happening in the NetBSD community,
frankly makes me sick to my stomach.  I've been running NetBSD
constantly since v0.9 was current and I've NEVER seen this much blatant
disregard for good engineering practice in this community.

   Kids these days, indeed.

             -Dave