Subject: Re: What recent Sun Hardware runs NetBSD+X?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/21/2005 16:29:28
der Mouse said:

>You don't say why it has to be *recent* Sun hardware, so I have to
>wonder if a U1/U2 or maybe a pre-sparc64 box would do.  They certainly
>work just fine for me; the recent mania for hardware capable of running
>recent bloatware has produced a perception that they're too slow to be
>useful, which as far as I can tell is illusory.  They do still do
>everything they ever did, after all.

My basic wishlist is to have an Ultra 5 or 10 replace the Athlon Thunderbird
that I'm sitting in front of. I need fvwm with 16 desktops and around 30+
xterm windows, mozilla, and openoffice. I would expect that it would be a
lot more reliable than commodity junk.

I have 18 systems up and running, Four of them are Intel/Amd, and they seem
to require the most frequent maintenance. Sun 4c and 4m seem to go forever,
The few Ultra boxes that I have are also fairly reliable.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>