Subject: Re: Re: XFree86 - testers wanted
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/16/2005 18:39:37
Dans l'épisode précédent (Wed, Mar 16 2005 - 12:31), Michael nous apprenait que :
> Hello,
>
> >  I forgot to say I do have an U10 :)
> Somehow I assumed you have an U5 or an U10, I think I was quite specific about what's supposed to work :)
>
> >  good, now I have a nice green/white screen with keyboard working.
> >  FYI, the wsconsctl still doesn't work:
> > # wsconsctl -w encoding=fr
> > wsconsctl: WSKBDIO_SETENCODING: Invalid argument
> That's the keyboard code - still a sore spot but nothing I've been working on and I never tried to load different keymaps. I'm pretty sure if this selects a compiled-in keymap, I guess the code is just not there yet - I'll have a look. Modifying the keymap using wsconsctl -w map... should still work though.

 OK... I can manage with the US layout for the moment :)

> >  well... my problem is that there're no /var/log/XFree86.0.log generated...
> Are you sure it's trying to start XFree86 and not Xsun or something like that? Where does the /usr/X11R6/bin/X symlink point?
> ~> ll /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22 Jan  2 10:30 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

 ahaaaa ! it is linked to Xsun.
 re(reading) the initial mail and (re)browing you FTP directory, I see XFree86.tar.bz2
 this might be useful :)

 I'll start the DL before going back home and untar/link X/test tomorrow.
 Wish me the 5 letters word - sorry, this joke doesn't work in english :)

> >  any tweak (for starting X, or else) ?
> Use X or XFree86 to start only the Xserver ( ctrl-alt-backspace terminates it, make sure X points at XFree86! ) or startx to bring up whatever your .xinitrc ( or the system default - twm ) defines.

 OK, I'll try XFree86 first.

--
,-- This mail runs ---------.
`------------ NetBSD/i386 --'