Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Lehmann <maal1yz@hotmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/14/2005 12:28:01
Stephan Schwerzmann wrote

> [snip]
>   a1) who did originally provide this "Sun OF firmware"?
>   a2) Adaptec?
>   a3) Sun?
>
>   b1) Why don't they provide this (anymore?) on theyr websites?
>   b2) Do we need to dig deeper on theyr sites so to find this?
>
>   c1) May these files be on some of Sun's CD sets?

> Stephan

a1) Adaptec, the same for the Solaris SPARC drivers !

b1) The OF models (Mac and Sun) didn't ship very often, due to this fact they
have been much more expensive than the more common PC compatible models.
Adaptec even prohibits to flash OEM cards with Adaptec Firmware (one of my
AHA-2940UW was sold/labeled by Gateway).
The german magazine c't published an artice about "converting" an Adaptec PC
SCSI controller into one suitable for the Macintosh.
The article was called "Verblitzt Adaptec 2940UW von PC- auf Mac-Version
frisieren" by Carsten Meyer (cm)
Praxis, SCSI-Adapter, Ultra Wide, Flash-EPROM, PCI-Karte
c't 13/98, Seite 194

This information is roughly translated from the article:

Mac adapter (PowerDomain) is assembly no 917306-01 and is equipped with
1-MBit-Flash-EEPROM.
The assembly no of the PC adapter ends with -00 and is equipped with 512KBit
Flash EEPROM.

But there have been a few (!) PC versions of the card with 1MBit EEPROM ! Some
versions with a PLCC SMD EEPROM  other with a DIL case (27C512 PROM (?)
replace with 29EE512).

c1) No, Sun never supplied SPARC drivers/firmware for these cards.

One last note: Sun limits access to the sites Sunsolve and System Handbook
effective April 5th. Full access to these resources will then require a
Service - or Support contract.

"Access to Sunsolve and the Sun System Handbook is Changing"

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content25

Michael