Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: 'port-sparc64@netbsd.org' <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/14/2005 10:40:17
[snip]

>>   by "involves a soldering iron" did you mean "remove the small, put in
>> the big" flash-rom chip?
>>   this would match my intention I never came to implement
>
>in my case, it involves de-soldering... well, actually cutting all the
>legs off at the chip with a hobby knife, then desoldering the legs  :)
>and then after cleaning the board up and re-tinning the pads, soldering
>down a surface-mount PLCC socket where the flash chip was.
>then I just snap in an pre-flashed Amtel 128K flash chip with the Mac
>Firmware, or if I can get it, the Sun/OF firmware image.

  fine :-) so I'm sure my understanding of things is correct,
and sure: I LOVE SOCKETS  :->>>

[snip]
>>   sun/ultrasparc specific ROM image? dunno.
>
>yes, the Sun OF firmware image.  I have the Mac firmware images.

  ack, but not good.
  this makes me raise questions:

  a1) who did originally provide this "Sun OF firmware"?
  a2) Adaptec?
  a3) Sun?

  b1) Why don't they provide this (anymore?) on theyr websites?
  b2) Do we need to dig deeper on theyr sites so to find this?

  c1) May these files be on some of Sun's CD sets?

 (for c1: I have here genuine SPARC Sol8 & Sol9 boxed CDSets
but I am not used to skim/navigate thru them - if somebody directs
me a bit I can try to search an possibly extract such firmware
files. does this sound absurd?)

Stephan