Subject: Re: tty problems with current netbsd
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/12/2005 19:55:19
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:34:57 -0500
Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net> wrote:

> I've noticed no "notable 64 bit bugs" with GCC on my U1 or U5. What
> bugs are you referring to?
Try to build HP-PA / hp700 stuff and you will get various "internal
compiler errors" and / or binaries with non working code. This happens
only on 64 machines, big endian as well as litle endian, but not on a 32
bit machine. As I have no urgend need for 64 bit on the U5 and U10 I
went with a 32 bit kernel and userland. Fixing GCC would be better,
sure, but I don't have time and motivation to fight with the tool chain.
I'll wait for GCC 3.4 or 4.0, maybe the problems will vanish with a
newer GCC.

BTW: You will also get invalid HP-PA code when using -Ox where x !=3D 0
on a 32 bit machine, but this is relatively rare. (But sometimes verry
anoying to debug if happens.)

I can understand your "I have found no reason not to run the machines
64-bit." I would run the machines 64 bit fore sure if there wheren't
those anoying HP-PA tool chain problems.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen