Subject: Re: tty problems with current netbsd
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/12/2005 13:34:57
On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 07:12:09PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:20:55 -0500
> Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net> wrote:
>
> > I run NetBSD/sparc64 on an Ultra 1 and Ultra 5 here, and really see no
> > practical reason for running 32bit on an Ultra
> I run a 32 bit kernel and userland on my U5 and U10 because a key
> application has notable 64 bit bugs. The application is GCC.

I've noticed no "notable 64 bit bugs" with GCC on my U1 or U5. What bugs are
you referring to?

> In addition: 32 bit binaries / their run time memory foot print is
> smaler leading to a slightly better throughput. This is due to better
> utilization of memory bandwith and less cache pollution.

I'm aware of the fact that 64 > 32. I'd appreciate it if people would stop
acting like the fact that 8 bytes takes more resources than 4 bytes is not
extremely obvious.

I'm just stating a personal opinion that, in my case at least, I have found
no reason not to run the machines 64-bit. One does NAT, the other is
primarily for testing. They perform quite well enough to suit my needs.

- Sean

--
 _
( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign